I have been working on my fireplace “backsplash” all week. It’s finally finished! It was pretty easy, inexpensive, sometimes a little frustrating, but the end result, according to my hubby, who was out of town during the whole construction, is “quite impressive!”
The whole thing cost right around 50 dollars. It would have cost less if I used pine wood. Not too bad for a big impact!
This was an easy project, but I will confess that after I got the frame up, I realized it was off-center. It was level!! But not centered. So I had to take it down and scoot it over. And my walls, I found out, are not straight. They have a bit of a wave in them. So when the vertical boards went up, part of the wood touched the wall and part of the wood did not. And it was the walls, not the boards that are wavy. By the time I finished the project, I went through 3 tubes of caulk. Yes, people, caulk is your friend. It will cure what ails you. Or at least fill in massive gaps on the wall!
Anyway, just wanted to share that part with you as well. Don’t get discouraged if projects don’t turn out right the first time. Unless you knock down a wall, you can fix most anything. You and your friend caulk. One more thing…
Good morning! Today I’m reblogging the very first post I did more than a year ago. This is probably one of my favoritest projects to far. The headboard bench has been everywhere in my house since then, and now finally, it think it has found a permanent home on my recently updated porch. (When I say “permanent” that means maybe for the next six months or so!)
I have a couple more project in the works. We are having a “family weekend” this weekend, so they won’t be completed until next week. The project that’s really putting a pep in my step is updating my fireplace. I’m going to create an architectural backsplash (for lack of a better word) on the wall above the mantel, similar to the picture below. Woohoo! I love working with wood and power tools!
HEADBOARD BENCH (revisited)
(from May 2, 2011) This headboard started out in life as a rejected bunk bed headboard found in a dumpster. I first used it as a twin headboard for my son when he got his first “big boy” bed. (Shhh… that was many moons ago!)
Using 1 x 4′s, I build a the sides and front of the bench and attached it to the headboard with wood glue and L-Brackets. And as you can see, I used tape to clamp the pieces together while the glue dries. Real clamps would have been ideal,,, but you make do with what you have. : )
I bought the legs from Lowes and attached them with wood glue and screws. I had to haul the bench into the house because my garage floor is not level! Couldn’t figure out why my bench was teetering. I’m going to have to do something about that unlevel floor. I’m not sure my hubby will be happy with me turning the sunroom into a workshop.
The seat was made from 3 pieces of 1 x 6 wood. I counter sunk the screws and puttied and sanded the wood smooth.
I primed and painted the bench with a brush. I’m sure spray paint would have worked great, but I used what I had on hand. The edges were lightly sanded for a distressed look. Now this old headboard has a new useful life as a bench and a new home in the foyer!
This may have been one of my favorite projects so far. (And it doesn’t hurt that my dad was very impressed with it. Still means a lot even when you’re not a little girl anymore!) : )